"Cherub Rock" - How It Happened

Post links to articles, YouTubes, photos, etc. on the band.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
solacematt
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby solacematt » 02 Apr 2008 23:36

I did an interview with the band for the magazine that I wrote for back in October opening night of the Evanescence tour. One of the questions that I asked was on the band's cover of "Cherub Rock." Unfortunatly due to space constraints in the issue this part of the interview was cut out, so I'm just going to copy and paste that part here, as well as give a link to view the issue in pdf format.
Page no longer available
Pages 21, 36-37
Enjoy :)
-matt

RAG: Speaking of covers, you guys have been known to play some different types of covers like Destiny's Child, but SP covering SP? Once again the band used the power of the internet, recently posting on your Myspace page a cover of The Smashing Pumpkins "Cherub Rock" with "The Everlasting Gaze," what brought that on?

Shimone: Myspace invited us to be a part of a sort of collective tribute exercise in writing. It wasn't really an album or anything, it was like, every week the site wanted to put up a new song as a tribute to the band. They got a lot of really cool bands to be a part of it and cover Smashing Pumpkins songs and they asked us to do one. Our original suggestion was to kind of do like this medley because we didn't think that anyone else would do that. We put in a lot of different ideas and everytime that we would put in an idea, another band would take it. We wanted to do "Ave Adore," and someone took it, or some other song and someone took that. So we were sort of left with like a week until we had to record it and we didn't know what we were going to do. So we asked on "Cherub Rock" and no one had taken it, so we just re-worked that one and put "The Everlasting Gaze" at the end just because we thought that it would be cool. We just recorded it really fast and put it out and we just feel really lucky to be a part of something like that. We got a really good response from it, so we put it up on our Myspace page. We changed the song up a lot too. We weren't sure if we were going to like, piss off any of the hardcore fans and have it backfire on us and have the fans of the band be really dissappointed in us and be like f**k them. Luckily a lot of people really dig it. We have never played it live, ever. We recorded it seperatly as well because we didn't have any time. We got in like the morning that we were supposed to record it. We came off a tour and Mark went in and did the drums and caugvht up on his sleep. We already knew what we were going to play, but we had never actually played it together. We came in afterwards and just did our parts. We never actually played it together as a whole. Just sort of put together in the studio and changed a bunch of things around halfway through recording it in the studio and just made it happen. It was really an interesting experiment to see how it would come out.

Mark: I think it came our pretty good.

Shimone: Yea, it came out pretty good. We actually used a lot of the tools that we had learned while making Dressed Up As Life to aid that. So that may be why it turned out the way that it did.
Last edited by solacematt on 02 Apr 2008 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Becky
Founder
Founder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby Becky » 03 Apr 2008 05:21

Very cool! Thanks for posting that.

alice991
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby alice991 » 03 Apr 2008 14:33

Where can we get "Cherub Rock", by the way?

Is there anyone going to listen to my story? All about the girl who came to stay?

Thanks to Meredith (DNRpuppy) for my set.

Stephanie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Stephanie » 03 Apr 2008 14:40

I was curious to know how they put that song together and their thoughts on it so thanks for sharing. :)
Last edited by Stephanie on 03 Apr 2008 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

Missy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Missy » 03 Apr 2008 19:05

Excellent! I feel like it's "insider" information lol Thanks for sharing

Cassie
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby Cassie » 06 Apr 2008 13:04

It's always cool to know how bands get their ideas for stuff. Tahnks for sharing.

mellowyellow
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby mellowyellow » 06 Apr 2008 13:18

when I was listening to the collab of all the Bands doing smashing Pumpkins songs, I like the "Cherub Rock" Cover the best, not because I liked the Puppies already, but I liked the sound, they did the song justice.
Last edited by mellowyellow on 06 Apr 2008 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Lisa » 08 Apr 2008 14:29

Thanks for that! I like SP's version better than the original. :)

Return to “Media Lounge”