Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?

Unread postby Katy » 11 Sep 2008 05:14

I just wanted to pay a little homage to all of those that we lost seven years ago on 9-11-01. I will be taking a moment of silence out for today just to remember everyone that fought for their lives that day. Rejoice in the ones that made it home and mourn the ones that didn't.

One of my most vivid memories from that day are seeing the multiple images of people jumping out of the windows, the smoke and fire pouring from the building, and finally, everyone that was covered in the dust and ruin on the ground.

Where were you that day when you heard the news? I happened to be at home with my Dad and we had both decided to play hookey from work/school. We were just about to pop a VHS tape in to watch the shows we recorded the night before (this was before DVR, lol) and the news broke through the regular programming to report that one plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center. I remember just sitting there in awe as I watched the next hour or so of events just unfold before my eyes.

I didn't personally lose anyone that day close to me, but I know several people that did. :cry: Here's to them...

chikguitaristnan
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?

Unread postby chikguitaristnan » 11 Sep 2008 05:48

i was at school. i had just finish an exam in my math class at san jacinto college. i walked to the student center and saw all these people standing around the tv. i looked and saw the towers.. at first i was like what movie are these people watchin. about 2 seconds later i noticed it was a live report and was pretty much in shock of it all. once it soak in as to what was happening i ran to a phone and called a friend who was visit NY that wk. no answer..... i also called my gf at the time cause she was freakin out. that day was intense. i actually caught it when the 2nd plane went into the buildings.. just craziness... after a bit thats kinda what happened in the recreation center at school. people started disappearing. making phone calls. goin home. just crazy. sad.. just sad... i dont think ill ever forget that day..

one love

ToniB
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby ToniB » 11 Sep 2008 07:03

I was at work, as I am pretty much every day. Our receptionist's mom called and told her (just after the first plane hit) and we didn't think a whole lot about it until she called saying that a second plane hit. We have a TV in our training room, so we turned it on and watched in horror. I was watching as the towers fell and I was in complete disbelief. Just a couple of weeks before, I had found out that I was pregnant. No one I worked with even knew yet. All I kept thinking was "what kind of world am I bringing this child into?". My hormones really got the best of me that day. One of the things that really stuck out to me and really broke my heart were the phone calls/messages that people left that day, knowing that they probably weren't going to make it.

I don't personally know anyone who was hurt in the tragedy. My boss's son-in-law was working at one of the buildings very nearby and apparently never really got over what he saw that day. He saw people jumping and people falling... I can't even imagine.

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this tragedy today.

Hey, it's gonna be okay. Hey, we're gonna laugh at this one day.

hshiau
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby hshiau » 11 Sep 2008 07:17

It was my daughter's first day of kindergarten and we had just dropped her off. We could see the smoke from the first tower through our window. Watching it on tv was truly surreal. I couldn't shake the feeling that I must be watching a movie. But there was no denying it when we could see the smoke. An incredibly horrible day. I've never cried watching the news before.

We walked down to try to help the next day but were stopped around the Jacob Javits Center. There were so many people that had come to try to help in any way they could. Bu they had cordoned off a large radius downtown and already had more helpers than they could adequately support so we dropped off some supplies, thanked the fire fighters and police that were around, and left.

I watched nothing but news for the next month. I'll never forget that day.

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 11 Sep 2008 07:57

It was one of my first weeks as a Freshman in college. I was sitting in European History class and we saw a bunch of people running in the hall. My prof went outside and asked what was going on and someone told him there was an attack on the WTC. He came back in and continued his lesson as scheduled so no one in the class knew the extent of what was going on. When class was over I walked back to my old high school because I was supposed to speak to the one class about how college classes were nothing like high school. So I went up to the class I was supposed to speak to and the teacher told me that 2 planes flew into the WTC. I still dont think I got the extent of what was going on until I went back up to school in the student center the tvs were on and I actually saw and realized what was going on.

My immediate response was to call my mom. I couldnt get through to her because the phone signals were all messed up. Then the rest of our classes were cancelled that day. I remember I was supposed to start dance class that night, but I just couldnt go. I wanted to stay with my mom all night. We ended up going out to dinner that night and it was just unbelievable what was going on merely 2 hours away from us.

I personally didnt lose anyone that day and don't think I know anyone who did, but here is to all those that died at the WTC, the Pengtagon, and in Shanksville on United 93. Not to mention the countless police officers, firefighters, and other emergency personell who gave their lives trying to save someone else. Here is to you!

Shim: You don't like Rage Against the Machine?
Me: I like one song.
Shim: Which one?
Me: Bulls on Parade.
Shim: F%&* off! HAHA

Sami_Liz
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Sami_Liz » 11 Sep 2008 08:05

I was in the 4th grade and i remember as soon as it happened all of my teachers were silent.. [there were a couple in the class] and i was wanting to know what was going on cuz they looked scared and right before i asked my dad showed up and checked me out of school. He wouldn't tell me till i got home and my mom was sitting on the couch crying. turns out my grandfather was in the pentagon and his office was the one that got hit. he was on a coffee break, Thank God. So now we say coffee saved his life. :]

Future Ambassador! :D

"And I'll take you for who you are.. If you take me for everything.."

-Sami Lizzz. :]

Crystal
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Crystal » 11 Sep 2008 08:24

Wow, Sammy... That's so lucky.

I was sitting in French class, my junior year of high school. Still struggling with the concept that my mom had dragged both me and my brother to Florida, into a completely different culture. As I sat there, a teacher popped his head in and whispered something to the Frech teacher, whom then walked over to her desk and turned on the classroom TV. We all sat there appalled with the scene unfolding before us. Shortly thereafter, my mom came to bring both me and my brother home. The news had believed at the time that the terrorists were targeting places with many people, and we were right next to Disney World... We spent the rest of the day watching the horror on TV at home. I personally did not lose anyone in the tragedy, however, I do know that we lost many great men and women at the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and Flight 93. My thoughts are with their families and those of the survivors on the anniversary of that terrible day.

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 11 Sep 2008 08:39

Shim: You don't like Rage Against the Machine?
Me: I like one song.
Shim: Which one?
Me: Bulls on Parade.
Shim: F%&* off! HAHA

nicolenice
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby nicolenice » 11 Sep 2008 09:11

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Samsung » 11 Sep 2008 09:36

I was in 3rd grade. I didn't even know anything happened until I got out of school and my mom told me. My little brother was about 2 at the time, and my mom was crying watching the news and he went, "It's ok Mommy, they'll clean it up." He thought she was crying because it was a mess. My dad had been visiting the WTC the day before, so it was a close call....

My avatar is always watching.

Kate
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Kate » 11 Sep 2008 11:05

I remember turning on the TV to watch Beverly Hills 90210 reruns and being really annoyed that it had been interrupted by the news. I had no idea what was going on or how serious any of it was. Thankfully I don't know anyone who was affected by what happened.

Regan
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Regan » 11 Sep 2008 13:18

I was six, so all I remember is not understanding what was going on and being picked up early from school. I have a friend whose dad was supposed to be there as it was happening, but thankfully his cab was five minutes late.

If I were a vegetable, I'd be a radish, because I'm only kind of rad.

BrettL
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby BrettL » 11 Sep 2008 13:40

i was in the first grade, about a week into school. all of my teachers were staring at the tv in awe. they canceled school at 9:00, about 20-30 minutes after the first crash. but my grandpa was on a plane to D.C :shocked:

i remember balling my eyes out thinking my grandpa was dead. thankfully, his flight was delayed because of the first crash. i still cant get that day out of my head... i was trying to think what the hell is all that smoke doing?... in fact, i remember saying "what the hell is going on?"haha ...i was six at this time

:moon:

Mari
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Mari » 11 Sep 2008 13:56

That day stands in my memory as something clipped from somebody else's life. I was at school, college really and somehow we got the gist that something was happening at turned the TV on. It was just totally surreal, the rest of the day got canceled as our teacher had studied in the US so she wanted to call her friends. The mother of one of my class mates had been in the WTC the day before, everybody just wanted to get home and make sure everyone was ok. I remember the public screens around town showing the news non-stop and people congregating before them as in some sort of movie. Rather strange and surreal, horrible of course but at the same time there is a strange connection between you and the other people, united by shock I suppose. It really had a huge impact, and this is from the perspective of the other side of the world, I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like for you who live there. :hug:

~Mari~

mellowyellow
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby mellowyellow » 11 Sep 2008 13:59

fifth Grade, Mrs.Clarks class. All the teachers got phoen calls from the main office and were told. i remember how her face bacome pale and gaunt looking, then they printed out all these notices for us to take home, i thought nothing of it till i came home, Saw my mom and dad sitting there.

I was like "Mom, why are you home so early?" Then I looked and started crying my eyes out. It was terrible.
My frien Emily came live in NYC at the time and a lot of her friends families were effected by it. A sad sad day in history, indeed :[

Serge
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Serge » 11 Sep 2008 14:29

I was in high school in between classes and everyone kept bringing up that we were attacked but didn't go into much details. Then my entire World History class consisted of discussing it. When I got home all the images, videos, and whatnot were on TV and I was frozen with shock. I was in my extreme depression days back in high school so that didn't help my faith in humanity much. Then it lead to the attack on Afghanistan followed by the whole Iraq thing which is unfortunately still going on.

I still can't believe it was already 7 years ago though...

Thrice has a VERY good song concerning 9/11, although it obviously hints at suspicion of some kind of conspiracy and/or failure to reveal the truth:

Broken Lungs

Woke up to a brand new skyline
We licked our wounds and mourned the dead
Swallowed the story, hook and sinker
Is that what we meant, when we said That we never would forget?

Are we fools and cowards all?
To let them cover up their lies
Because we all watched the buildings fall
And watched the scales fall from our eyes

A fire burns beneath Manhattan
Still we breathe with broken lungs
We act like none of this matters
Is that what we meant, when we said That we’d sing what must be sung?

We want answers
Scream from the roofs
We want justice
We want the truth
Last edited by Serge on 11 Sep 2008 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

rockedbritt
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby rockedbritt » 11 Sep 2008 14:40

I was in secind grade, i had just finished a scooby doo puzzle when my mom came to get me. Then i wasnt allowed outside all day. Thats all i remember.

Hi, I'm Brittany and I'm in love with Sick Puppies.

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Samsung » 11 Sep 2008 15:05

This song fits amazingly...

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Out in the yard with your wife and children
Working on some stage in LA
Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children
Who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below

Did you burst out in pride
For the red white and blue
The heroes who died just doing what they do
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself to what really matters

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

Teaching a class full of innocent children
Driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
Did you dust off that bible at home
Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Speak with some stranger on the street
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger
Stand in line and give your own blood
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love

And the greatest is love

And the greatest is love

The greatest is love
The greatest is love

Last edited by Samsung on 12 Sep 2008 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar is always watching.

rockedbritt
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby rockedbritt » 11 Sep 2008 18:38

^^wow. I used to get driven to school by a freind and her mother always played that song. I'm glad I finally know the name, Thanks for posting.

Hi, I'm Brittany and I'm in love with Sick Puppies.

Pwneress
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Pwneress » 11 Sep 2008 22:19

I actually remember just being in 5th grade and then going to school and my teacher being devastated that's all I really remember...I have the worst memory.

Return to “Random”