I need help

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anthony
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I need help

Unread postby Anthony » 17 Jun 2008 20:00

I just wrote like a 1000 word post(not kidding) and ended up deleting it and going with this:

My best friend and biggest influence got engaged and moved 2 hours away. we visit each other on the weekends and are still keeping the band thing going, although difficult. My parents are moving an extra hour away from him making it 3 hours. I fear its going to put an end to my band. I would love nothing more than to move out and live with my friend but that would directly conflict with me finishing my degree in electronics that im in the middle of. My dad, cousin, boss, and everyone else wants me to finish school. On the other hand these are all the people that are driving me nuts right now and making my life hell. not to mention a LOAD of other crap I dont even want to get into explaining(like how i feel alone, and emotionally abused). Basically, I want to MOVE THE F*#@ out! Would I be THAT foolish not to finish school?! I cant take this anymore!

What else makes it hard is I know my parents are going to be real dissapointed if I move away, wich makes it real hard to go talk to them and ask for support in doing so. Specially if it means not finishing school.

what do you guys think?

I like where I'm at on my back floating down in my own riptide...the water is fine :P

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: I need help

Unread postby Donna » 17 Jun 2008 21:24

The "Mom" is going to come out in me and I am going to have to say .... finish school :smile:
It sounds like you are going through a pretty rough time at home and I know it must not be easy . I am sure you will have a wonderful future with your band, and I am not saying that you won't be successful with your band but just in case things don't work out for whatever reason....if you finish school you will have more options than if you don't finish school.
I know that may not be the answer you wanted to hear - I hope you do what is best for you :smile:

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

frodolover36
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby frodolover36 » 17 Jun 2008 21:39

i agree. you should definitely finish school. that way if for some reason things dont work out with the band you have something to fall back on. plus dont you want a good job to make lots of money to help pay for things for the band? even if the band has to go on a short hiatus for a little while then so be it. if it is meant to be what you are supposed to do then the band will get back together.

again, probably another answer you didnt wanna hear :wink:

The name's Nikki

"I don't consider myself a guitarist, or even a vocalist for that matter, I'm a rockstar."
~Shimon Moore

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Samsung » 18 Jun 2008 03:49

If you don't finish school, get your GED. I'd say to stay in school, unless the situation is bad. :smile:

My avatar is always watching.

Anthony
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Anthony » 18 Jun 2008 04:09

What about this, I transfur my credits to the penn state college up there and finish next year. That way I get to have a whole year to "find myself".

Or I just move anyway, and then just move back home a year later and maybe things will be better. My parents mean well, its not like they hate me. They just dont realize how they drive me nutz and that they say things that upset me, It's long story.. but I think this is what I might do.

Plus, if i live on my own for a year I would qualify for a ton of financial aid twards school. So I would pay alot less that last year I have to take.

I like where I'm at on my back floating down in my own riptide...the water is fine :P

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 18 Jun 2008 04:27

^^^ I was actually going to ask if you could possibly go to a different school. Problem with taking off for a year, a lot of people never go back. Especially if you're living on your own, you'll have to be working to support yourself, and then it'll be hard to pay for school, and work LESS in order to maintain the lifestyle you've been living. It's a tough decision, for sure. But I would definitely finish school one way or another....

Kemmy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Kemmy » 18 Jun 2008 10:46

I would also say that you should finish school. It's really hard to get yourself to go back to school once you've stopped - a year becomes two years and so on... Electronics is a good field and a great backup just in case. If it's really bad at home, is it a possibility to stay where you are (city, school, etc) but live on your own? Your parents would be an hour away (so you would see them when you want) and you, your best friend and your band can still practice on the weekends. Plus, like you said, you'd qualify for more financial aid because you'd be on your own.

solacematt
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby solacematt » 18 Jun 2008 10:57

I agree, stay in school. I'm in my, erm, mid-twenties or so and I've seen a lot of kids in your type of situation, minus the band thing, replace that with a girl or guy instead. They say oh, I'll take some time off, and than they don't go back because, as vertigo said, you get used to a certain kind of lifestyle where you of coarse do make more money. You also have to keep in consideration just how completly f*ck the economy is and it isn't getting any better. Whose to say what the economy and cost of living is going to be in a year, or even six months from now. There's a lot to weigh in consideration.
I took time off twice from college, once to rehabilitate and get through a bunch of sh*t, and another time to go on tour with my band. Not one person had any faith that I would go back, but I did on both occasions. Unless your band are the next friggin Beatles, I'd say put it on hold, or find some different people to jam with so you don't get rusty. I'm assuming you play drums from your avatar. Assuming your not one of those brainless f*ck drummers and can actually keep time right and properly play a 4/4 and to a click, you should be fine. Sorry if that seemed a bit harsh, or this next thing I'm going to say. the other day a friend asked me for some advice and in the end what I've come to find is that when people explain a situation to you, no matter how in depth they get with it, in the end, they're going to make whatever decision they think may be right at the time, and though they will listen to what others have to say, it doesn't necessarily mean it will honestly inpact their decision. It's just one ear and out the other in hopes that maybe it may strike something in them. but in the end, most people just follow what's in their heart, no matter how right or wrong it may be.
-matt

Anthony
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Anthony » 18 Jun 2008 13:59

I want to finish school really bad. I have every intention of finishing. I just have alot to think about right now. And I would like to thank everyone for their advice. Everyone I talk to does say the same thing, make sure you finish, you dont want to end up screwing yourself. So I'm going to take every precaucion and think through everything I do to make sure I do end up finishing.

And matt, I actually just bought a clicker(metronome) to start playing with. People tell me though for a drummer without any real experience and the fact that ive only played 2 years that I'm doing really well, but I got the clicker anyway because I want to be the best I can be. :band:

Return to “Random”