Cosplay and conventions!

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
Song of a Phoenix
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cosplay and conventions!

Unread postby Song of a Phoenix » 04 Feb 2014 12:15

So, who else here is a cosplayer and/or attends anime/gaming/comic conventions? I am a cosplayer myself! I like to make my own costumes, though I'm still rather new at it. I've been cosplaying since 2009. I started with Connecticon, then have been going to that and Anime Boston ever since! I also have attended Another Anime Convention for the past couple of years.

It would be awesome to meet fellow cosplayers here on the forums, or some World Crew members at a con! =D Let us talk cosplay!

"Taking that choice, taking that leap of faith and what you wanna do with your life. And everyone's tellin' ya coulda, woulda, shoulda, what they would've done back in that day, and what you should've done blahblahblahblah, c'mon man. From us to you, do whatever the hell you wanna do with your entire life and just make sure it works for you." -Shim Moore before performing Maybe.

Salvera
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cosplay and conventions!

Unread postby Salvera » 05 Feb 2014 03:26

Yeah, um... I was at two cosplay conventions. The last convention was two years ago. I went as Freya from Chobits. Here in Germany is a big convention in September. Perhaps I will go there. I have some ideas, but I don't know which cosplay I will choose.

Snowmonkies
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Snowmonkies » 05 Feb 2014 16:32

Hedgehogs for days

Song of a Phoenix
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Song of a Phoenix » 05 Feb 2014 17:01

"Taking that choice, taking that leap of faith and what you wanna do with your life. And everyone's tellin' ya coulda, woulda, shoulda, what they would've done back in that day, and what you should've done blahblahblahblah, c'mon man. From us to you, do whatever the hell you wanna do with your entire life and just make sure it works for you." -Shim Moore before performing Maybe.

Snowmonkies
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Snowmonkies » 06 Feb 2014 13:06

I actually have several pictures I took while I made it, but for now here's a finished picture of it leaning against my closet door

It pretty much involved wrapping toilet paper rolls and old school papers around a broomstick and then sticking an axehead cut from cardboard on the end, paper mache'ing the heck out of the whole thing and then painting and details and whatnot. The handle is not a hundred percent 'accurate' but by the time I got that far I figured masking tape would suit my purposes just fine :laugh:
... that's pretty much my prop-making technique. get a stick, build over it with paper and cardboard, then paper mache ALL THE THINGS!
also thanks for the tutorial. This should help if my sister ever wants to make a Varia Suit (Metroid), and if I ever want to cosplay ghost-armor Kerrigan (StarCraft)

Hedgehogs for days

Dominique

Unread postby Dominique » 06 Feb 2014 17:50

I attend Denver's Comic Con every year...I have yet to dress up, but one day, one day I will! lol instead I just wear my nerdy shirts. lol

Rose
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Rose » 06 Feb 2014 18:26

OMG I knew a thread like this would pop up eventually.

I've been to Boston Comic Con as fem eleventh doctor and fem Kirk, Granite state Comic con as Batgirl, Rhode Island comic con as fem Kirk again and as Batgirl again, then I went to seacoast comic con accidently as myself.

I'm working on Captain Mervel (Carol Danvers) and soon I'm going to start Janice Rand from Star Trek and probably Inara Serra from Firefly.

Portland ME, 11/26/10, Bangor ME, 7/31/11, Boston MA, 9/20/12,
Portland ME, 8/14/13

Snowmonkies
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Snowmonkies » 08 Feb 2014 08:31

I'm gonna see if I can get a Vin (Mistborn) cosplay running for AnimeNEXT in June. It shouldn't be too hard, since it's a character from a book it's up for a certain amount of interpretation. The hardest part would probably be the mistcloak. It's pretty much a cape made of strips instead of one piece of fabric. If I wanted to make one that would last, that'd be a lot of sewing XD I guess if it got down to the wire and I didn't have the time/resources to sew it, I could just dig a cheap Halloween cape out of my closet and go nuts with some scissors.

Hedgehogs for days

*J*
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby *J* » 11 Feb 2014 07:50

I just went to Xena Con last weekend in Burbank, CA. I did not dress up, but it is so great to see everyone else dress up in characters. Supposedly, next year will be the last one, so I will be there again for sure.

Song of a Phoenix
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Song of a Phoenix » 11 Feb 2014 15:34

SPFanMentorOH89
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby SPFanMentorOH89 » 12 Mar 2014 09:46

I go to Dragon*Con in Atlanta, GA every year... one word, AMAZING

Snowmonkies
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Snowmonkies » 12 Mar 2014 17:40

Hedgehogs for days

Daez
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Daez » 12 Mar 2014 17:58

I've always wanted to go to a con; the closest I've come was EVO 2013; I'd love to go to one though, and... dress up like C.C. LOL. She's probably my most annoyingly favourite anime character ever, haha.

Or dragoncon or blizzcon... or PAX east...

Snowmonkies
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Snowmonkies » 13 Mar 2014 13:16

Hedgehogs for days

Daez
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Daez » 13 Mar 2014 14:37

Snowmonkies
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Snowmonkies » 13 Mar 2014 16:09

Hedgehogs for days

Daez
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Daez » 13 Mar 2014 17:04

Aww bummer! Got pictures of it, by chance? :D

SPFanMentorOH89
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby SPFanMentorOH89 » 14 Mar 2014 07:34

Well, I usually have to pay for a hotel out of the way and then take MARTA.... we usually stay in TravelLodge by the airport. I take Greyhound or fly into Atlanta. I also have family in the area, so it helps. I've considered moving to Atlanta just for the con.

Daez
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Daez » 14 Mar 2014 08:32

now that's some dedication!

but it'd also put you in good stead to hit up quite a lot of potential SP venues too... Jax isn't that far a drive from atlanta, nor are Nashville and Montgomery, etc! Might make you able to go see an awful lot of shows... :D That'd be awesome!

Snowmonkies
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Snowmonkies » 14 Mar 2014 13:18

Hedgehogs for days

Return to “Random”