Who got you into music?

Share your love of music that isn't Sick Puppies here. (What?! Such a thing exists?!)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cody Lee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Who got you into music?

Unread postby Cody Lee » 31 Jul 2011 23:27

What band/artist truly got you into the music you listen to today, and how did it happen? I grew up on country :surprised: until 5th grade I listened to a mix of country and pop. i.e. Backstreet Boys, Nysnc, etc. (SHUT UP IT WAS COOL THEN!)

Anyways one day when I was between 5th and 6th grade I think, I was downloading an Anime Music Video on I think Kazaa (basically just clips from Dragonball Z set to music.) After like 9 hours of downloading (dial-up back then) I watched one with a song that changed my life. I literally had never really heard rock at all before that, but I waited for the credits and the song was called "A Place For My Head" by some band called Linkin Park. Lol I begged my mom to buy me the CD. That was 10 years ago, since then I've listened to nothing but rock and they are still my favorite band to date.

What's your story?

"An idea is like a virus, resilient, highly contagious. The smallest seed of an idea can grow. It can grow to define, or destroy you."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
Formerly known as Cakerz

sum1special
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Who got you into music?

Unread postby sum1special » 01 Aug 2011 09:28

I listened to all kinds of music back then: rock, country, pop, rap, etc. I always liked it, but never really paid attention to it(I wasn't really old enough to understand it). Really, it was whatever my parents were playing at the time. So I could be listening to Eminem one minute, and Backstreet Boys the next :tongue:

Around 5th/6th grade, my dad started showing me all these cool bands that I would want to put on my Ipod. He started taking me to concerts also. One of them was Sick Puppies :tongue: . After seeing all the energy of the different bands playing at that concert, I was really inspired. I really started listening to the messages in songs. Rock music just always seemed to appeal to me more after that, and since then, I've opened up my mind to all these different bands, and never looked back. :smile:

ValentinThirteen
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby ValentinThirteen » 01 Aug 2011 12:30

Cody, my story's close to yours!
Everyone down here seems to either listen to country, pop, or rap. (I was into the backstreet boys when I was little too XD)
The only rock band I'd ever listened to was Green Day (my cousin had Dookie) but I started really getting into it around 5th grade or so when I heard Numb by Linkin Park being played on an amv (I think it was naruto) and it blew my mind.
Linkin Park and Green Day quickly became my favorite bands and that's what led to my love of rock music :music:

"I wish that things were still the way they used to be... but only for a day just so I could say that I remember you."

TheBlackParade
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby TheBlackParade » 01 Aug 2011 17:16

My older sisters were way into pop and rap but i always hated it i was in the car with my dad when the radio station that we had on played My Chemical Romances Welcome To The Black Parade, that song is what got me listening to rock

Welcome to my world Where everyone I ever need always ends up leaving me alone - My World - Sick Puppies
Blow a kiss at the methane skies See the rust through your playground eyes We're all in love tonight Leave a dream where the fallout lies Watch it grow where the tearstain dries To keep you safe tonight - S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W - My Chemical Romance

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 01 Aug 2011 19:52

Evanescence got me into modern rock. As a teenager, I listened to mostly classic rock and older stuff. I still do, but discovering Evanescence turned me on to new music....including Sick Puppies.

Kemmy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Kemmy » 01 Aug 2011 19:56

For me, it was Green Day (Dookie). I didn't even know what alternative music was until grade 7. Then, I decided to check out this band that everyone was talking about...I never looked back!

Jessamy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Jessamy » 01 Aug 2011 21:23

I started off mostly listening to just rush and oldies from my parents. When i got into high school, a new friend introduced me to rock through My Chemical Romance, and as many of you know, the rest is history once I heard them :laugh:

Sick Puppies + My Chemical Romance = :love:
08-18-08~ 05-23-09~ 07-22-09~ 09-11-09~ 12-13-10~ 04-23-10~ 05-01-10~ 07-15-10~ 08-13-10~08-14-10~12-10-10~12-13-10~04-19-11

sh4ms
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby sh4ms » 05 Aug 2011 12:46

I owe it to my sister. When I was a kid she brought me to these underground synth gigs. I don't know how she found them. She was into Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Depeche Mode, Thåström, the Cure.

Alternative was almost unheard of here. I discovered it through an internet station, Radio Wazee. Most of my collection comes from there. The DJ, his name is Howard, he had this gigantic playlist. You could listen for two weeks straight without it repeating.

I started to collect the songs that I liked. 400 bands in one year.

That's where I heard All the same. You could download it from there. This was back in 2006, same year as the Free Hugs video. It was one of the songs that hooked me to this genre. Feels really strange to be here five years later. If I had know about this place...

All the same and there was another song. Listen to how he says "face", it's like phase. In our language we don't have the "z" sound. It messes up our English. We say eyes and ice in the same way :laugh:

Then Howard disappeared. They tried to find him. Last i heard they spotted him on a motorbike somewhere in Arizona.

Now I mostly listen to http://www.distortionradio.com, but alternative has grown here. We have a dedicated radio channel for it now. They LOVE Sick Puppies. Went to the gym the other day and the DJ made a shout out about Tri-Polar!

That's my story :wink:

GuitarZer0
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby GuitarZer0 » 08 Aug 2011 11:50

Diary of Jane by Breaking Ben got me into rock/alternative music in the 9th grade, and Atreyu got me hyped on metal. :music:

aznprincessesa
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby aznprincessesa » 05 Jul 2016 08:40

I give lots of props to my brother's for introducing me to rock/alternative music. I grew up listening to just naming a few: Silverchair, Steve Miller Band, Pink Floyd, Weezer, and Oasis. Whenever we hear a song from "back" in the day we end up reminiscing about what events took place at those times. Ahh the good ole' days. :smile:

:sp: "You can't regret what you don't decide." :rock:

patrickdron
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby patrickdron » 06 Jul 2016 15:26

got into music from my mom, grew up listening to country and did for a few years then got into pop and things like that then from 5th,6th grade up through middle and into high school got into hip hop/r&b and rap and alterative and punk rock, etc.

Kship2001
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby Kship2001 » 01 Jan 2017 17:20

My dad is big into music but he listens to like folk stuff. I always listened to oldies as a kid & some pop stuff. My sister listened to Nirvana & Metallica & stuff before she switched to country.
When I got to high school & met my husband, we started listening to Eminem a little & Nickelback. From there, it was a gradual move from Nickelback to harder rock. Now it's Sick Puppies, Skillet, Shinedown, Three Days Grace, A7X, Breaking Benjamin.....
I've always liked music but now it's a huge part of my life. I can't sing, dance, or play an instrument but I love to listen!

Crazy is just fine cause I like where I'm going :sp:

Heather

Unread postby Heather » 01 Jan 2017 23:41

My mom got me into music, one of my earliest memories is meeting Def Leppard when I was about 5. :laugh: The first band I liked a lot and saw in concert was Kiss. As I got older I got into a bunch of hard rock bands, that I still like and listen to now!

~Heather

08-15-08: New Orleans 08-16-08: Tupelo 04-18-09: Nashville 10-14-09: Little Rock 10-23-09: Nashville 04-22-10: Jackson 07-13-10: Memphis 08-11-10: Little Rock 09-10-10: Nashville 04-30-11: Memphis 09-20-13: Little Rock 09-27-13: Nashville 03-25-17: Clarksville

JaraM
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby JaraM » 08 Feb 2017 07:12

My game addiction brings me to music, I played video games a lot, probably for 10-8 hours a day. And the music that I heard I wanted to hear all day even at school. So probably Shazam got me to music. For those who don't know about this app, you can read here: But when I transfer my music from the games to my iPod, after some time, I began to understand that I listen music more than play games!
Last edited by JaraM on 10 Feb 2017 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

vegawriters

Unread postby vegawriters » 08 Feb 2017 08:09

oooooo good question ....

I was a first generation MTV kid, so my Saturday mornings were spent sneaking into the living room to watch Adam Curry's music countdown and it was all about the rock. lol. But I listen to rock and metal today because of bands like Queensryche and musicians like Joan Jett.

My parents had awesome musical tastes. I was raised on everything from Opera to Madonna so I had a full range of experiences to choose from. But I definitely can blame my father for the rock. ;) I have noticed though that when I'm writing, I tend to gravitate to the music my characters listen to so that can really expand my listings.

Pick up a pen and fight a war for the right to dream.
- Live/The Sanctity of Dreams

Shows
March 12, 2014/HCIRT/SLC, UT

Cora

Unread postby Cora » 23 Mar 2017 18:02

According to mom, I've been a fan of Rod Stewart since before I was born.

And Lynyrd Skynyrd. :)

:rock:

Proud TL of the Webcast Team!
#2016ForDavid :sp: Always in our hearts

hamjen
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby hamjen » 26 Mar 2017 13:50

wow, older cousins and friends and myself..........resulted in me listening to anything from New Edition, Michael Jackson, Def Lepard, THe Stones (Dad), Motley Crue, and What really got me hooked on heavier music was Metallica around the time of Ride the Lightning. From there I was hooked on rock and "found my people" if you will :rock:

TheBeardMan_SP
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby TheBeardMan_SP » 30 Mar 2017 17:30

Breaking Benjamin is the band that really hooked me into the genre I listen to now.

Return to “Other Music You Love”